August 25, 2019

About Us  |  Support

Wage and Overtime Claims

The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) is a federal law that sets forth minimum standards for overtime pay for certain employees. Among other provisions, this law states that the majority of employees are entitled to receive “time and a half” for hours that are worked beyond the standard scope of a work week (generally 40 hours). Whether given an hourly wage or paid on a salary basis, most employers in the United States workforce today are required to abide by the Fair Labor Standards Act.

Proving Wage Violations

From insisting that employees perform extra work off the clock to forcing mandatory overtime without fair pay increases, companies in violation of wage and overtime laws use a variety of manipulative tactics to avoid paying fair wages. Many employers have been found guilty of mislabeling salaried workers as “exempt” from federal wage and overtime laws or claiming actual employees as independent contractors in order to enhance their bottom line.

Employers who withhold holiday or vacation pay, pension, retirement benefits, bonuses, or other wages may also be found in violation of the law. If you suspect your employer is illegally withholding money you’ve earned, a skilled employment lawyer can help you determine if you have a case and inform you of your rights.

Compensation for Missing Wages

Employees who were underpaid may be entitled to receive significant compensation for unpaid wages plus interest and attorney fees. Companies who violate the FLSA and other laws may also be forced to pay steep penalty fines to the government, on top of their payout to compensate victimized employees.

An experienced attorney from can help you calculate the amount of money you may be entitled to receive. If you were fired after filing a wage and overtime claim, you may have additional compensation available to you under wrongful termination laws. The sooner you hire a skilled law firm to represent your claim, the more opportunities there may be for securing valid evidence of wrongdoing.

If you or a member of your family has been denied fair wages or overtime pay, please click here to find an employment lawyer in your area.